The benefits included in each of the 2017 Sponsorship Program levels provide visibility for our sponsors and recognition of the valuable support that sponsors provide to ACC National Capital Region. This section will explain those benefits:
CLE and Thought-Leadership Opportunities: Among the most-valued aspects of this Program are the opportunities sponsors have to demonstrate their expertise by developing content for ACC NCR that will help our members do their jobs better, faster, and smarter. That content may be in the form of a CLE program, or a news alert or article on a legal issue, or a “Legal Brief” presentation by teleconference call.
CONTINUING LEGAL EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMS
- Each year, ACC NCR puts on more than 80 CLEs, most of which provide Virginia Bar MCLE credit. ACC NCR prides itself on providing programs on cutting-edge topics and practical approaches that are of special value to in-house counsel. Programs are held in all the jurisdictions that we serve (D.C., the Commonwealth of Virginia, and suburban Maryland). Many of our programs are provided both “live” and by distance-learning methods (Web seminar and teleconference) to ensure easy accessibility for our membership. Click here to review our 2016 Sponsor Guidelines, which describe how programs are organized and the logistics involved in presenting a program.
- We have a number of different program formats:
- Signature Luncheons are on a topic of broad interest to our membership, featuring a notable speaker or a high-level panel.
- We also hold CLE Seminars on topics of more focused interest. Many of these are presented under the auspices of our specialty substantive committees – the ACC NCR Forums. Often, these are presented with the option of participating on-site or by web seminar.
- In recent years, we have had great success with CLE Conferences, half-day or day-long programs consisting of several sessions. Examples of these conferences include:
- Data Privacy and Security Conference – a day-long program consisting of sessions on the foundations and complexities of designing a global proactive privacy and security program, as well as topics of great concern to our organizations (cyber risk, regulation, working with law enforcement, etc.).
- Employment Law Conference – a half-day program on important issues in employment law. In 2015, the conference focused on 101-level issues and was very successful.
- Mini-Executive MBA – sessions on critical business skills and concepts to help in-house counsel understand the business side of a deal, venture or initiative.
- Paralegal Institute – a day-long program that provides helpful tools to the legal assistants/analysts who work with our members.
- Roundtables and Workshops allow attendees to share best-practices or brainstorm creative solutions to problems, or work on problem sets to learn a skill.
- Click here for an illustrative list of CLEs that we presented from January – July 2016, showing examples of each of these types of programs.
NEWS ALERTS AND OTHER CONTENT
- We also provide opportunities for sponsors at certain levels to share written updates and analyses with our members.
- ACC NCR E-Newsletter: ACC NCR publishes a weekly e-newsletter providing updates on programs, events, and other items of interest to our members. The Diamond, Emerald, Platinum, and Gold sponsorship levels include publication of a substantive article or client alert in our e-newsletter with a link from the article to the sponsor’s home page. (Schedule set by ACC NCR.)
- Chapter listerv: ACC NCR has a listserv that goes out to all members. In 2017, ACC NCR will use its e-mail listserv to circulate the following information (as applicable) on programs presented by Spotlight Sponsors: (1) URL for archived webcast; (2) URL for downloadable presentation materials; and (2) Any articles/alerts related to the program.
- Sponsors at the Diamond and Emerald levels have opportunities to present Legal Briefs. A Legal Brief is a 15-minute conference call during which the presenters address a specific legal topic in the first 10-12 minutes. Then, the call is opened up for questions from the participants. (This idea is based on the ACC national committees’ “Quick Hits,” a very popular feature that provides a helpful summary of an issue.)
Other Ways To Get To Know ACC NCR Members Through Your Sponsorship: The Program also provides a variety of ways for our sponsors to get to meet and develop relationships with ACC NCR members:
- CORPORATE COUNSEL AWARDS RECEPTION: ACC NCR’s annual reception for in-house counsel and sponsors is the top networking event for in-house counsel in the region. At this event, we present the Corporate Counsel Awards to help us celebrate the accomplishments and contributions of the in-house bar and recognize some of the best in-house lawyers and legal departments in our region. The reception attracts attendees from the in-house, legal, and business communities, and is designed to maximize opportunities for networking. Each sponsorship category includes a number of tickets for attendees to the reception, as well as inclusion in the various sponsor recognition features we produce in conjunction with the Reception. The 13th Annual reception will be held on October 26, 2017.
- GENERAL COUNSEL FORUM LUNCHEON: Each June, ACC NCR brings together a panel of three to five General Counsel from leading local companies and organizations, representing a variety of industries, sizes of companies, and sizes of departments, for a roundtable discussion. In recent years, the panel has discussed their career paths and their roles in their organizations, the role that legal plays in getting the organization’s business accomplished, crisis management, and common ethical issues. The discussion is always candid, and both in-house and outside counsel value the insights provided. All annual sponsorship categories provide two tickets to this luncheon program. This is also one of our best-attended luncheon programs, providing valuable networking opportunities. The luncheon will take place in June 2017.
- SIGNATURE LUNCHEON TICKETS: In order to provide our sponsors with additional opportunities to network with our members, we have provided each sponsorship level with a certain number of virtual “tickets” that can be used during the year to send representatives to our ACC NCR signature programs. Each ticket may be used only one time (at one luncheon), for one person.
- HOSTING A MEMBER-DRIVEN PROGRAM: From time to time, a Forum may hold a roundtable discussion among members, allowing for sharing of concerns, brainstorming approaches, or such. Sponsors who provide space and lunch for these “member-driven” programs will be able to have a few representatives in the room to hear our members’ perspectives and engage with them informally.
- SPONSOR APPRECIATION EVENTS: In 2017, we will hold two such events for sponsorship representatives to meet and network with ACC NCR leaders. We will begin the year with an informal reception in January, and close out the year with a breakfast or happy hour in November.
- SPONSOR ROI: In 2015 and 2016, ACC NCR leaders met with marketing and business development personnel from sponsor firms to discuss how they can help their firms build relationships with ACC NCR members as part of their sponsorships. Those attending found the event very helpful, and we will have another, similar event to continue this dialogue with our sponsors in 2017. In addition, each sponsor will receive a quarterly “report card” summarizing its utilization of sponsorship benefits and opportunities, to help you better track the progress of the year.
- ACC NCR LEADERSHIP FOCUS GROUPS: Diamond and Emerald sponsors will have the opportunity to meet with members of the ACC NCR leadership and others to discuss matters of mutual interest and get information about how in-house counsel are utilizing outside law firms and consultants.
- INFORMAL SOCIAL: Sponsors at the Diamond, Emerald, Platinum, and Spotlight levels will be able to send representatives to an informal social that ACC NCR will host for its members in 2017.
- ACC NCR Web Page: ACC NCR’s Web page includes “banner” advertisements on its home page for certain categories of sponsors. In addition, there is a general “Sponsors” page that lists all sponsors, with a link to each sponsor’s Web page.
- ACC NCR Directory: Each year, ACC NCR publishes a membership directory with listings of all ACC NCR volunteer leaders, a guide to chapter and ACC benefits, an alphabetical listing of all chapter members, and a listing of members by employer. The directory is an electronic document, set up like a “book”, that members will be able to download. (A small number of hard-copies will be printed and provided to members who specifically request them.) The directory is a resource that members retain and refer to all year long. All sponsors get either advertisements in the directory or acknowledgement. (Note: We cannot provide a copy of the directory to sponsors because it contains proprietary membership data. This is a strict policy set forth by ACC.)
Supporting Diversity – The ACC NCR Corporate Scholars Program: ACC NCR created the Corporate Scholars Program in 2004 to expose students from the law schools in our area to in-house practice as a career option and develop a “diversity pipeline” of future in-house lawyers. Students chosen for the program hold paid internships in the legal departments of chapter-member organizations. So far, approximately 100 students have been Scholars. Initially, seed money for the program came from grants from the Minority Corporate Counsel Association. Now, each sponsorship fee includes an amount that ACC NCR then remits to the charitable foundation that funds the scholarships, allowing our sponsors to play a role in this important program.